Dealing with a Wasp Sting

Dealing with a Wasp Sting

Wasps, bees and ants are all the insects that are known to cause medical conditions and problems when they sting. Similar to ants and bees, a wasp fall in the hymenoptera order and a wasp sting is often defined as a Hymenoptera sting. The most obvious reasons why wasps’ sting is because their nest may be disturbed or they are trying to defend their territory. Paper wasps, yellow-jacket and bald-faced hornet are the most common type of wasps. A wasp sting can be poisonous because of the venom injected because of which it can lead to allergic reactions. When a person is stung by a wasp, the venom is injected into their body by the muscles surrounding the wasp’s venom sack.

After the venom’s injection, you will experience a severe stinging sensation and it will be followed by redness, swelling and itching. You may also notice a large red area of your skin where you were stung. In some cases, you may also suffer from a bacterial infection. However, if you are allergic to the stings, then it can lead to several medical problems or can even be fatal. Usually, an allergic reaction is responsible for causing serious medical problems or death amongst those who are stung by a wasp.

If your immune system is allergic to the venom or highly sensitive, then it will cause the body to overreact and an allergic reaction occurs. It takes about an hour for this reaction to take place once you have been stung. Death from a wasp sting usually occurs during this time period. The danger of allergic reactions because of wasp stings is increased if you are stung multiple times. Nonetheless, it is still possible to suffer from death or an allergic reaction from the sting of a single wasp so it shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Nausea, swelling of the throat, vomiting, and hives, rashes all over the body, low blood pressure and faintness are some of the symptoms exhibited in an allergic reaction. Immediate medical attention is required for treating these symptoms. The effect of the wasp sting is minor if you aren’t allergic to the venom. But, multiple wasps may give rise to muscle breakdown, kidney failure or other similar problems. Major problems can occur even if you are non-allergic, depending on where the wasp stings. If the wasp stings in the throat or mouth, it could lead to swelling, which makes it difficult to breathe.

The stinger has to be removed if you have been stung by a wasp. The stung area should be washed with water and soap. An antibiotic cream or ointment should be applied on the sting site for preventing further infection. An antihistamine should be taken for relieving the itching skin if you aren’t suffering from an allergic reaction. You can also take ibuprofen or rub ice over the area for reducing swelling. Steroids may also be administered and you might need immunization. Blood tests may also be conducted by the doctor to ensure there aren’t any problems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.