You have just made a boyfriend. Your single self and your couple persona are drastically different, which means that there might be adjustment issues initially. Just like you would do with a versatile and new piece of clothing in your wardrobe, you also need to integrate your new boyfriend in your life. You don’t want him clashing with the major factors in your world and just want him to complement most facets of your lifestyle. Sure, you should focus on building a fantastic relationship, but that doesn’t mean that you lose yourself in your love for him or forget your friends.
Here are some tips that can help you in integrating your new boyfriend in your world:
- Establish a good foundation. The foundation that’s laid in the first couple of months of the relationship can determine the trajectory of a new relationship. If you want a healthy relationship, you need to set a proper tone and the best way to do it is to discuss your dreams and your life goals with him and let him do the same with you. Always keep it slow and ensure that both of you are on the same page before you add some external factors like friends or family into the equation.
- Learn how to compromise. It is a relationship, not a dictatorship. Do activities that both of you enjoy, but also engage in those that he loves and you aren’t so keen on. The favor should also be returned. Who knows? You might end up enjoying all the same because you are doing it with him.
- Don’t underestimate the power of communication. Find out the weaknesses and strength of your communication and adjust them according to your style so both of you can complement one another. Getting your point across through yelling and insulting isn’t going to work. If you are angry, take a few minutes to calm down and talk your problems through. Be as open and honest as you can and keep your attitude in check. The best way to avoid misunderstandings is to avoid arguments.
- Introduce your boyfriend to your friends. Make a special date to do so such as hosting an intimate gathering or going out for a casual or sporting event. You should do the same for his friends. It will be a good foundation if the most important people in your lives are able to get along.
- Don’t forget your friends and neglect them. Just because you are in love doesn’t mean that your friends have to take a backseat. This is a bad habit and you need to keep room in your life for both of them. Schedule some quality time with your beloved friends every once in a while and don’t include your man. It is healthy for your relationships and friendships when you make time for your pals.
- Remember your own identity even when you have a boyfriend. Do things that you like such as going shopping, exercising and even relaxing. A strong sense of self promotes a successful relationship.