You cannot live a healthy and happy life if you don’t value your physical health. The problem is that getting in shape is easier said than done. You can’t help but feel a pang of envy when you look at smart and beautiful celebrities. You just need to remember that even celebrities have to work for keeping their bodies in shape and it is something everyone can do. Whether you want to gain muscle, lose weight or just want to have a healthy body, there are some simple changes you have to make to your diet and lifestyle. It doesn’t have to be anything extreme; slow changes can provide you with better results in the long term. Read on to know more.
In the 21st century, almost everyone has become used to sedentary lifestyles and we don’t get enough exercise on a daily basis. Here is how you can keep yourself active for whipping your body into shape:
- When you are at work, don’t just sit in one place all day. Move your body and legs constantly. Step out for a few minutes to get some fresh air or a glass of water. Instead of ringing for someone, go to their office to talk. You need to keep yourself active if you don’t have time to go to the gym. Make it a point to forgo the elevator in favor of stairs. Get a treadmill desk and an exercise ball instead of a chair, if possible. Don’t just sit down to watch your favorite TV shows. Use a stationary bike while watching or do the laundry as they keep you moving. When you are waiting for your food to cook, you can also do squats.
- Incorporate aerobic exercise in your routine. These exercises give your heart rate a boost and improves your body’s ability of handling physical exertion. They are also helpful for weight loss. Swimming, riding a bike or even jogging and walking are excellent aerobic exercises that you can indulge in.
- Bear in mind that only consistency will provide you with results. You need to get in some activity for an hour on a daily basis to see any results. Make a plan and exercise frequently and consistently.
- You can also find a partner to exercise with you. Studies have shown that it is easier to stick to your goals when you have someone pushing you and exercising with you. You can ask a couple of your friends to join in if they also want to get into shape. You can motivate each other and some healthy competition will also drive you to your goals.
There are thousands of fad diets that you can find online, which promise you considerable weight loss in a very short duration. There are juice cleanses and other popular diet plans such as the Atkins diet, cabbage soup diet etc., which can indeed provide you with drastic results. The only issue is that these are just temporary and you will be back to square one when you stop following these diet plans. It is better to opt for small and consistent changes rather than jumping into a 10 to 20 days crash diet. Follow the steps below in order to achieve your goal:
- There is one basic rule you have to follow when you want to shed some weight; create a calorie deficit by burning more calories than you consume. You should take some time to calculate the number of calories you need to eat for maintaining your body weight and eat a little less than that. This pushes your body into burning the body fat for fulfilling the calorie requirement. Typically, you shouldn’t eat more than 2000 calories a day.
- You need to eliminate unhealthy foods from your diet. Salt, sugar and unhealthy fats will get in the way of whipping your body into shape so their consumption should be kept at a minimum. Instead of choosing sugary drinks such as soda, you should go for water or healthy juices. Any other items that are high in trans and saturated fats, especially hardened fats or margarine. You can eat fruits or other healthy foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids like nuts, olive oil and fish.
- You should follow a balanced diet. This means that your meals should have a proper balance of fruits and vegetables, proteins, dairy and carbohydrates. Try reducing your carb intake as much as possible and replace it with protein consumption. There are several types of fat and you should avoid those like trans and saturated fats that are found in junk and fried foods and commercially available items. Others like polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats found in fish, avocados and olive oil are good for you.
- Your meals should also be apportioned properly. This can help you in keeping your calorie intake restricted to the desired level. You can use a smaller plate to ensure you don’t pile on a lot of food. Eat slowly to allow your body to signal when you are full and drink plenty of water during the meal as this prevents you from eating excessively.
- Lean proteins should constitute a greater part of your meal as proteins provide you with energy and create the feeling of fullness. However, remember that there is lots of unhealthy fats in processed protein-heavy foods. You can reduce the amount of unhealthy fats by eating lean proteins. Go for a little hard cheeses with low carbs and low fat. Fish, eggs, chicken, lentils, turkey and beans are excellent examples of lean protein.
There is no one magical tip that you can use for getting into shape. The key to achieving your goal is to maintain a balance. This means that you should eat healthy and balanced meals while exercising regularly. Only if the two activities are combined, you will be able to accomplish your goal of physical well-being and transform yourself into a smart and confident woman.